At Natracare, we believe in driving a green future for everyone. We practice this across the entire company and our brand – from the design of our products and packaging – to our giving strategy and beyond. One of the ways we do this is by ensuring our charitable partnerships also support Sustainable Development Goals.
What are Sustainable Development Goals?
There are 17 global goals set out by the United Nations in 2015 as an urgent call for action towards creating a more sustainable future. These are called Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The goals are written as a crucial part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which acknowledges the need for addressing poverty, and other inequalities to achieve true sustainability.
The 17 SDGs are:
- No Poverty – end poverty in all forms, everywhere.
- Zero Hunger – end hunger, improve food security and nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good Health and Wellbeing – ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all people of all ages.
- Quality Education – ensure inclusive and equitable quality, lifelong education.
- Gender Equality – achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Clean Water and Sanitation – ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Affordable and Clean Energy – access to affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy for all.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth – sustained, inclusive, sustainable economic growth and employment.
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure – build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Reduced Inequalities – reduce inequalities within and among countries.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities – making cities and settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
- Responsible Consumption and Production – ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Climate Action – take urgent action to combat climate change and the effects of it.
- Life Below Water – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Life on Land – Protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and/or reverse land degradation and biodiversity loss.
- Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions – Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships for the Goals – strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
Why are SDGs important?
SDGs are important because they set a roadmap for how sustainability can be achieved on a global scale. Climate breakdown is happening. It’s important to acknowledge that this isn’t a problem that can be solved by individuals alone. Similarly, it cannot be solved by a single country either.
The world needs to come together to create a sustainable future for everyone, and that’s exactly what the SDGs set out to achieve.
Global leaders in all countries across the planet, can learn, understand, and follow the SDGs. In addition, businesses, organisations, and individuals can also use the goals to guide small scale management and actions. This means that while world leaders and governments work towards a sustainable future, companies and individuals can too. This is how we try to employ Sustainable Development Goals at Natracare.
How does Natracare work towards SDGs?
At Natracare, our products and processes are in-line with the SDGs set out by the UN in many ways. Here are some examples:
- We create more sustainable alternatives to everyday products like wipes, tampons, and pads, designed to protect and conserve life. These products are also designed to be kinder to human health.
- We use our platform to campaign for gender equality, climate action, racial justice, and period dignity.
- We power our HQ in Bristol using our own solar panels.
- We manufacture Natracare products using green energy.
- We certify our products to standards which support the UN sustainable development goals
- We are an Endometriosis Friendly Employer and provide our employees with free Natracare period products, supporting and empowering people with periods directly.
- We support and partner with charitable organisations and activists that are working towards a more sustainable, equitable world across the globe, both through our 1% for the Planet membership, and with partners working towards social justice
- Our giving strategy is led by pillars that align with SDGs. Read on to find out more about these pillars.
How is Natracare’s giving strategy aligned with SDGs?
When the internal giving committee at Natracare decides which organisations to partner with under our 1% for the Planet membership, we are led by seven categories that align with SDGs. These are:
- Plastic Pollution
- Women’s Empowerment
- Conservation and Reforestation
- Harmful Chemicals
- Water and Sanitation
- Food and Agriculture
- Education and Legislation
These aren’t the only types of projects or organisations that we donate to and partner with, but most of our partners fit into at least one of these categories. We are proud to use our partnerships and products to align with Sustainable Development Goals. It is essential with our core beliefs as a brand.
Find out more about our giving and some of our key partners here.