For over 30 years, Natracare has been committed to creating eco-friendly period alternatives that are kind to both our bodies and the planet. With Project #BeKind, we’re taking it one step further by encouraging everyone to adopt a greener and more sustainable lifestyle.
What’s the issue?
According to the Environmental Working Group, the average woman puts 168 chemicals on her body daily via just 12 different products.
Additionally, period products as well as their packaging and wrapping, generate more than 200M kilograms of annual waste — and these plastic and non-compostable materials can take up to 800 years to decompose, releasing climate changing methane in the process.
What is project #BeKind?
Natracare is the creator of the only tested and proven compostable period product in the world and the world’s first organic cotton tampon. We’ve been campaigning for over 30 years for a different kind of period using biobased materials to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
By joining Natracare’s Project #BeKind, you’ll learn simple ways to implement sustainable practices and commit to at least 30 days of practicing kindness to your body and our planet by:
- Choosing certified organic, plastic free and biodegradable products in order to avoid known chemicals of concern.
- Committing to composting, recycling, and reducing your overall carbon footprint.
When you take the pledge, you will be automatically entered for a chance to win an exclusive #BeKind kit with Natracare products and other organic goodies.
Why have we launched project #BeKind?
Natracare founder Susie Hewson shared why we’ve launched this project:
“If we want our habitats to be able to sustain nature’s diversity, it’s time to do something about this. Our goal with Project #BeKind is to encourage consumers to act now. We all must make it a priority to choose wisely. What we consume and what we use on our bodies matters and can make a significant difference for our wellbeing and our planet.”
How can I get involved?
Join us in pledging to #BeKind to our bodies and the environment for at least 30 days, you can do this by:
- Choosing certified organic products
- Swapping to plastic-free alternatives
- Looking for biodegradable options where possible
- Committing to composting and recycling as much waste as you can. Check out our beginners guide to composting to find out more
- Taking a proactive approach to reducing your overall carbon footprint
By taking this pledge and making these changes in our day-to-day lives, together we can make a difference.
As a bonus, everyone who takes the pledge will be entered for a chance to win an exclusive Natracare #BeKind kit filled with our favourite organic products and other goodies that are gentle on the planet.
What will be happening during the project?
Project #BeKind campaign launched on 9th May, coinciding with International Composting Week, with a focus on being kind to the planet. We’re encouraging you to get involved by pledging to be kind to your body and the planet for 30 days. We’ve also created a handy composting guide, to help you get started!
- We’re creating sustainable community compost sites that you can use in America and the UK, these include hot bins for composting garden, food waste and Natracare products too.
- At Natracare HQ, we’ll be adding our own hot bin to the garden to quickly compost garden and kitchen waste as well as compostable period products. After 30 to 90 days, we will be using our compost to grow a range of fruits and vegetables that will be donated to local food banks.
- We’re also partnering with several UK charities supporting communities to be able to farm, garden and grow together, and have more hot bins placed at selected sites to make composting more accessible for all.
Our Project #BeKind will continue in with a focus on International Self-Care Day on 24th July, highlighting the importance of being kind to your body. We’ll be encouraging you to join the pledge to practice self-care by choosing 100% organic, chemical-free, plastic-free, and compostable products.
- A digital #BeKind series will encourage discussions around self-care, it’s importance, and how to get started.
- You’ll get the chance to win an incredible #BeKind Starter Kit, that includes the most popular Natracare products and well renowned organic brands!
- The #BeKind 30-Day Self-Care Challenge will launch, including different sustainable ideas and self-care activities that you can check off each day.
As the year ends, we’ll be aligning with World Kindness Day on 13th November to keep the momentum going around self-care and kindness for our bodies and the planet.
- As part of Project #BeKind, we’ll be working closely with three organisations across the U.K. and the U.S. as total turnover (not profits) to environmental organisations around the world every year. Since 2019, we’ve donated more than £600,000 to charities fighting climate change, un-sustainable food production, pollution, plastic in our oceans and more.
- We’ll continue to give one percent of our unsustainable food production, pollution, plastic in our oceans and more.